The purpose of this one-day course is to offer the most practical applications of the Diagnostic Fracture Injection Tests (DFIT). The DFIT has become an essential tool to obtain reservoir information that cannot be obtained using conventional Pressure Transient Test (PTA); such as flow and buildup tests. Also, useful information obtained from the DFIT analysis are critical to the design of hydraulic frac treatment. Test interpretations including pre-frac closure and after closure analysis will be discussed in details; both the theory and practical applications. The application of DFIT is extended to cap rock integrity testing. Several case studies will be reviewed using commercial software.
- Obtain a quick overview on well test analysis techniques
- Understand the benefits of the DFIT and what reservoir parameters and rock mechanic parameters could be obtained.
- Why DFIT is frequently combined with Step-up and/or step-down tests
- Learn the aapplications of the (DFIT) or Mini Frac to meet the requirements of the AER
- Learn how to extract parameters from DFIT used for frac design including:
- Pre-Frac Closure (leakoff types, closure pressure, ISIP)
- After Closure Analysis (ACA) to obtain formation permeability & pressure
- Numerous case studies from the Duvernay and other formations
- Learn how to design DFIT to ensure conclusive results are obtained.
- Review cap rock testing methods.
Introductory to Intermediate
You will obtain a quick overview of well test analysis techniques and understand the benefits of the DFIT and what reservoir parameters and rock mechanic parameters could be obtained.
This course is aimed at all the technical staff such as reservoir, petroleum and exploitation engineers/technologists, geophysicists, and geologists who are involved in well production/injection optimization of the unconventional and hydraulic frac design.
0.8 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) are awarded for this 1-day course.
All cancellations must be received no later than 14 days prior to the course start date. Cancellations made after the 14-day window will not be refunded. Refunds will not be given due to no show situations.
Training sessions attached to SPE conferences and workshops follow the cancellation policies stated on the event information page. Please check that page for specific cancellation information.
SPE reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule courses at will. Notification of changes will be made as quickly as possible; please keep this in mind when arranging travel, as SPE is not responsible for any fees charged for cancelling or changing travel arrangements.
We reserve the right to substitute course instructors as necessary.
Saad Ibrahim, P. Eng, president of Petro Management Group Ltd. He has over 35 years of diversified experience in the oil and gas Industry as a worldwide highly recognized engineering consultant and a distinguished instructor. He also completed a post-graduate program with the University of Calgary in Chemical and Petroleum Engineering. The focus of Mr. Ibrahim’s experience lies in the area of Reservoir management, and well test planning/analysis. Mr. Ibrahim is a member of APEGA and SPE.